Friday, October 31, 2008

Trick-or-Treating


I am so glad this week is finally over. It seems that there have been so many activities to go to. As we were driving home tonight Gary said, "Ten years from now there will not be trick-or-treating as we know it." I totally agree. It seems like so many businesses are sponsoring trick-or-treating at their stores, Smith's and Kmart both advertised for it. The Rec. Center here had a mayor's walk (costume parade) and carnival type thing. Two of the wards in our building had a trunk-or-treat. Don't get me wrong, I love the ease of it all. "One-stop treating" it is a great concept. It is safe and the kids aren't out in the cold for too long, or not at all. But all of these organized activities get families out of their homes (again, not all bad) so there is not anyone home to pass out treats to the die-hard, old-school group. After the trunk-or-treat we headed to a neighborhood where two of Gary's favorite employees live to do the door-to-door thing and show off the cute kids. A street of 20 or so houses and only 6 lights were on. I think it is kind of sad. I loved trick-or-treating. The excitement of running from house to house and hoping for something other than a dum-dum sucker or a midge. So much fun. The weather was great tonight. I was in a Gypsy outfit (yes I dressed up) and wasn't cold at all. All-in-all it was a great night. The kids got a TON of junk and they all had fun. I guess I shouldn't expect more than that. Either way, a fond farewell to October. I am really looking forward to quiet November.

4 comments:

Kyndi said...

I loved the costumes-thanks for stopping at our house!

Chris 'n Leah said...

I'm glad it's over too! But the kids always have SO much fun...ya hate to see it end. Now on to Thanksgiving!

Kandice said...

You did such a good job on all your kids costumes!!! It was good to see them at Trunk-or-treat. Have a great day, ttyl!

Stephanie said...

I can't believe how much work holidays have become! I am determined to have an amazing Christmas season this year- and not get so stressed and busy. We really need to get together and do some fun projects- do you know what happens when 2 creative minds get together? It could be fun to find out!