Thursday, August 7, 2008

"Rain, Rain, Go Away"

This is my first "vent" post. It has been raining cats and dogs on and off throughout the day. Normally I would be all for it. Rain in August? I love it...the smells, the humidity in the air, the puddles to splash in, the thunder and lighting. What's not to love? But man, it is bad timing for us. We love to camp. We tent it, as in no camper. Our ward camp-out is this weekend and we have been looking forward to it for weeks. They have planned a dutch-oven cook off and I love to dutch oven. I don't think the coals will stay hot if they are being rained on. We just watched the news and it said that the Uintah and Flaming Gorge areas will be hit hard for the next 24 hours. Well isn't that lovely. We will be camping in the Uintah's near Flaming Gorge. I have been packing most of the day, clothes, food, camping supplies and now I need to go to the store to get everyone rain coats. Maybe I'll pick up galoshes too. I bet we'll need them. I originally packed four sets of clothes for everyone, two shorts and two pants...Do you think I need more? I am a compulsive over packer so I'm not sure if I am just blowing it out of proportion or not. I just hate not having everything I "might" need. Oh well, The kids, I'm sure, will have fun regardless. They won't even notice their nutso Mom trying to keep the mud from getting in the tent and sleeping bags. If worse comes to worse I guess we could use the tent as storage space and sleep in the back of the truck. Wish us luck...

4 comments:

Kandice said...

aww we are right there with ya. The sleeping bags are ready, the list are made. I am a wimp though. I want to see just how "bad" it gets. Growing up in this area my whole life, I know how quickly things can turn for the worst. Lets just hope the lord blesses us with nice weather so we can all have a fun campout. Hopefully we will see you there!

Chris 'n Leah said...

Camping in the rain? You are so much braver than I am; but I guess I always knew that. I hope you guys are still able to go and I hope that you have a GREAT time! I expect to see lots of great muddy pictures when you get back!

Take care!

KAREN said...

VALERIE:

IF YOU LIKE TO COOK IN A DUTCH OVEN, HAVE YOU TRIED AN APPLE BOX OVEN?

LOVE, KAREN

KAREN said...

(continued)

YOU CAN EVEN COOK HOME-MADE BREAD!

LOVE, KAREH