Sunday, September 21, 2008

Title-of-Liberty Flag


At church a few weeks ago, our Sunday School teacher challenged us to create a Title-of-Liberty for our family at our next family night. I made this flag a few years ago for a family night activity. I love it. I love that it is what I see when I pull into the driveway and I love that everyone that approaches or drives past our house knows what the people that live here believe in. I not only hang it outside our home, I also take it camping. I hang it so that when my kids go exploring it is easy for them to see which camp-site is ours. Since I first made it I have had many, many people comment on it, compliment, "What a great idea!", and request a pattern. Well, I haven't had a pattern, until now. My sister-in-law spurred me on in her latest request. We were all camping at Bryce this last summer and she noticed it, again. She asked if I would be willing to make her one. (she doesn't sew) I told her I didn't have a pattern, I just made it up from some scraps left over from a quilt I had made one of my boys. I thought about it a bit and with her continued requests decided to come up with a pattern. So here I am. I figure if she wanted one so badly, someone else might also.
This flag measures 34"wide x 44"long. I painted the words using fabric paint, then had each member of our family "stamp" their hand print as their signature. It hangs on a standard decorative pole. It has the hooks inside the sleeve to secure it to the pole.
I will take custom orders, where you tell me what color scheme, words, and emblem you would like and I will complete it for you. All you would need to do is have your family "sign" it any way you want. I will also have kits available. You just choose the color scheme and the emblem you would like in the background. It will include all of the fabric needed, cut to size and directions for sewing it together. You would need to add your own words. If I have enough interest I will invest in a gadget that will cut fabric letters out and you would just need to iron them on.
I would love for you to visit my other blog www.titleoflibertyflag.blogspot.com and participate in my poll (to the right of the post) so I can get an idea of how much interst there would be in this product. Or, just leave me a comment. I would love to hear your ideas or feed-back, positive or negative. Thanks for helping me out with your input.

4 comments:

Kandice said...

you are so darn creative, crafty, and energetic!!! I love it! Good to see/talk to you a little bit at church. I'm also glad Kayler did not bite Desi...lol TTYL

Chris 'n Leah said...

You know that I want one! I took pictures of it last time I was out but I haven't quite ever done anything about it. But you know that I am not a sewer. I will vote on your other site and yes I would pay you if it was reasonable (best friend discount perhaps??!!)

Chris 'n Leah said...

Oh ya, I would post a picture and add a link to my blog for all my friends to see if you are interested in trying your hand at a little business!

Anonymous said...

I love this flag so much! It lets everyone know what you stand for and in this world that's the greatest. You are so creative!!! Thanks for being willing to sew for me. Love you more than you'll ever know - Connie